Thursday, August 21, 2014

3 New Beers I've Tried This Week

Sonoma Anvil Bourbon Cider


1) Sonoma Hard Bourbon Cider (THE ANVIL!)


Pros: This bourbon flavored cider is smooth and delicious!  It's almost as good as my favorites from Angry Orchard.  I'd gladly try their other flavors, but won't try this one again.

Cons: The balance between the apple and bourbon is skewed more towards bourbon than I'd prefer for a cider.

Other: I love the green tint of this bottle, and their logo is awesome.  This is the cider I was drinking while installing Manjaro Linux (running cinnamon).

ratebeer.com rating: 22





Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat

2) Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat


Pros: The honey flavors overpowered the bourbon and wheat flavors in this Shock Top beer.  My wife loved this beer- but that's because it didn't taste like beer.  The sweetness actually reminded me of a soda!  I wouldn't buy it again.

Cons: It was too sweet and the bourbon flavor wasn't strong enough.

Other: As you can see in the background, this is the beer I was drinking while trying Mageia Linux (review of that coming later).  

ratebeer.com rating: 15
beeradvocate.com rating: 56






Great Divide Claymore Scotch Style Ale

3) Great Divide Claymore Scotch Style Ale


Pros: This beer from Great Divide is my personal favorite of the three, but then again, I'm partial to Scotch Style ales.  (Hence my love for bourbon style ales as well!) The taste was smooth with no bitter aftertaste (an unfortunate trait of many hipster IPAs in my opinion).. I would definitely buy it again. It's comparable it to my favorite beer, Kilt Lifter from Pike Place Brewery.

Cons: I ONLY BOUGHT A SINGLE!

Other: I was trying a Linux version called Korora 20 (based upon Fedora 20) this night.  Perhaps I'll post a three way comparison tomorrow night, between Korora, Mageia, and Manjaro.

ratebeer.com rating: 94
beeradvocate.com rating: 86

No comments: